LGBTQ Inclusion Crews
The LGBTQ Inclusion Crew offers an excellent Opportunity for Queer Youth and Young Adults: Northwest Youth Corps (NYC) has provided youth and young adults work opportunities in the great outdoors in a fun team-based learning environment that emphasizes personal growth and stewardship since 1984. OUT There Adventures (OTA) cultivates leadership and builds community for LGBTQ youth and young adults through adventures in nature. This summer NYC and OTA are partnering with the National Park Service to offer a program for youth and young adults who identify with the LGBTQ Community the opportunity to learn, grow, and experience success. Here is a chance for you to learn valuable work and outdoor skills, create new friendships, and make memories that will last a lifetime!
This crew will be in a setting which involves sleeping in tents, cooking on camp stoves for all meals, has limited shower and flushable toilets, and the rustic feel that will really bond a community. The crew will consist of 2 professional outdoor leaders and 8 crew members from diverse backgrounds and locations.
The tuition to enter the program is $225. If the tuition is a financial challenge, the member/family may request a scholarship; a payment plan; or an advance on the stipend that the member will earn. It is Northwest Youth Corps goal that no interested student be prevented from participation due to lack of financial means.
Members are also charged for food during the program. Food costs are automatically deducted from the stipend at $66.50 per week for Youth Corps Programs only.
The dates for this program are July 28 - Sept. 1 with drop off and pick up sites in Seattle, Washington.
Corps members earn a base stipend of $1,200 for their 4 weeks of work, plus an additional week long guided kayak trip.
Participants have the potential to earn bonuses as follows:
- Completion Bonus (for finishing the program)
- Dependability Bonus (for completing all work hours scheduled for your crew)
- Safety Bonus (for a perfect safety record)
The member’s stipend is earned for an educational experience, and therefore, federal and state tax do not apply.
Workers compensation coverage is provided at no cost to the member for injuries or illnesses that occur on the program. Corps members who show diligence, hard work and a positive attitude are eligible for advancement opportunities and/or participation in other NYC programs. Many youth continue to expand on their experiences and become Assistant Crew Leaders, Crew Leaders and eventually may serve in careers with land management agencies such as US Forest Service and National Park Service. Northwest Youth Corps Programs provide excellent work and leadership experience for resumes and applications for any career field or college.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 19 years old.
- Applicants must be able to hike distances of up to 5 miles - possibly carrying equipment or packs.
- Applicants must be able to carry or lift 50 pounds.
- Applicants must be able to work 8-10 hour days that require bending and digging.
- Applicants must be willing to live with crew for 5-6 weeks, in tents.
- Applicants do not need experience sea kayaking, but should be interested in learning to kayak and comfortable around water
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Corps members are expected to work in a safe manner, follow the instructions of their crew leaders, participate in camp activities and be respectful of their co-workers, leaders and hosts.
- Work on the crew’s assignments in a safe and mature manner
- Participate in daily crew activities such as cooking, cleaning, campsite preparation and tool maintenance
- Actively participate in educational activities each work day. The SEED program (Something Educational Every Day) teaches conservation, ecology, and environmental science. It also provides participants an opportunity to earn credits in science or PE.
- Maintain a positive attitude
To apply to this program, please go online to nwyouthcorps.org and apply at the top right corner. When filing out the application, a list of programs will come up allowing you to choose which ones you are interested in. By clicking OUT There Adventures Queer Crew, your application will be forwarded to our Inclusion Coordinator Darian Lightfoot, who will contact you for next steps in the process. For any questions, please feel free to contact her at email@example.com or 541-349-7506.